turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

robjbad

We pay a total of $53363 for school. 1098T shows that I paid 32,733 the rest 21,630 was a grant. Why is MA subtracting the grant from my paid amount lowering my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

We pay a total of $53363 for school. 1098T shows that I paid 32,733 the rest 21,630 was a grant. Why is MA subtracting the grant from my paid amount lowering my refund?

TurboTax gives you a chance to adjust the 1098-T.

First, report it EXACTLY as received first. This article outlines the steps with video directions, too. 

Next, click Continue and answer the additional questions. You will be able to enter "the rest of the story" by increasing your school costs to total what was billed for your schooling.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

TurboTax gives you a chance to adjust the 1098-T.

First, report it EXACTLY as received first. This article outlines the steps with video directions, too. 

Next, click Continue and answer the additional questions. You will be able to enter "the rest of the story" by increasing your school costs to total what was billed for your schooling.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies