turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mvwyant

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbo tax won't let me enter in my tuition and enrollment fees.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

77 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbo tax won't let me enter in my tuition and enrollment fees.

Are you following the below process?

1) In TurboTax Online, enter 1098-T into the search field (magnifying glass) in the upper right of your screen. 

2) Select the Go to 1098-T button. Even if you don’t have a 1098-T, you can still enter tuition and fees info in this section.

If you are following this process and still experiencing issues, please cut and paste in the error message you are receiving so that we may assist you further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same exact issue. It continues to show as $0 and says I entered it in earlier but i never had the opportunity. 

I'm having the same issues. Turbotax is not allowing me to enter in tuition and fees (1098-T). Followed the directions to "jump to 1098t" took  me to the exact same place where it still doesn't give an option for adding 1098-T information. I've entered 1098-T tuition information for the past 10 years for four of my children and never had this problem before. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Let's try a different path:

• Sign in to your account
  • Select Pick up from what you left off 
  • To your left, select Federal
  • From the top, select Deductions and Credits
  • You should see a list of all tax breaks applied to you 
  • If you have entered any information under Education, it should show on the list.  If you have not, click on All tax breaks to expand to locate the Education section to add
  • See images below

1098tsearchexpand.png

I did all that a number of times. Entering in a 1098-T is really not even an option. It skips right to expenses on books, classroom supplies and lab equipment. It never allows me to enter info from the 1098-T

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

To enter your 1098T and other fees into TurboTax online, click on the Search Box in the upper right-hand corner and type in " 1098T ". Click on the Jump To menu option which is the first choice.

You can also follow these directions.

• You should be signed in and working in TurboTax
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand black menu
  • Then click on Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click on More Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Education, click on Show More
  • Click on Expenses and Scholarships (1098T)
  • A couple of screens in click Add a Student
  • Answer the questions on the following screens until you come to Your Education Expenses Summary
  • Next to the name of the student, click on Edit
  • Next to the name of the school click Edit

I appreciate the standard and duplicate instructions but I know all of that and have done this for years. there is some error in your system making me skip the ability to enter tuition. When I get to summary it automatically says zero. Can you please look into this issue? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please review your entries as outlined below.  This will help determine where the information is missing so you receive the credits you are entitled to.

Once you select Tuition from the Deductions & Credits menu, you should see the following:

Edit tuition information here

Select Edit.

Answer yes.

Detailed entry section

Be sure to click edit on each section above to ensure all amounts are entered.

Detailed input

Once you enter all of the information, click done, and you will see the following screens.

Which credit will you get

After this screen, TurboTax will let you know which credit you qualified for as follows:

Credit amount

If you are still having issues, please contact us at the following and one of our representatives will be able to assist you further.

Contact TurboTax

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

After you type in 1098-T in the search box and select Jump to 1098-t, the program will take you to the screen about entering Additional education expenses, from there:  

• Continue to follow the prompts to answer the on-screen questions
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  • See the images below.

@blade611 @zantskershaw

I'm not on the online version. It says I previously entered the tuition information, but it has not been entered. It doesn't let me go to any other screens. I tried to add screen shots but it wouldn't allow them.Annotation 2020-01-24 202324.pngAnnotation 2020-01-24 202654 1.pngAnnotation 2020-01-24 202654.png

A_kami91

I'm having the same issue. Apparently TurboTax employees don't know that a lot of people are having the same problem. They are just repeating themselves how to add the 1098T. There is a BUG in the software.

I've been using TurboTax for eight years, and this is the first I encountered a problem.

I am having the exact same problem.  No matter what instructions I use, I have absolutely no option to enter a 1098 T.  I really hope this gets fixed soon!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Thank You, this finally fixed the issue I was having. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies