Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbo tax won't let me enter in my tuition and enrollment fees.

Thank you, this finally worked. I was getting so frustrated!

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbo tax won't let me enter in my tuition and enrollment fees.

This does not work. Goes directly to Additional Education Expenses.

That finally worked but that is a work around. You need to fix the bug in the system so that it asks for the 1098-T in the appropriate place.

Everybody here! This Fixed the issue. 😀

follow this. 

Copied

Employee Tax Expert

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Lol my credit goes from $70 to $70. And I am under the IRS cuttoff limit.

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

• From Deductions & Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update
  • From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses
  • Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit
  • At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School
12lbrown2

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Did everything that was listed above and STILL WAS UNABLE TO ENTER IN MY 1098-T information. 

I had to go in MANUALLY into form view and put in the information. 

PLEASE FIX THIS BUG. THERE MAY BE SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES NOT NOTICE THAT THEY PAID 0$ FOR TUITION WHEN IN REALITY THEY PAID 35k THAT YEAR. 

ap1989

I was able to submit my 1098t by deleting all the education information first and then submitting the data as new again. Hope this helps anyone having this issue as well!

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

From Deductions & Credits

Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update

From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses

Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit

At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

i also have used Turbo Tax for the past 10 years. All of the other years my children tuition deductions worked fairly well. Until this year - second year of college and nothing but issues. something in software is WRONG

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

There is some updating happening and that might be causing your issues. 

Please go through the education interview and it should bring you back to a spot where the 1098-T can be entered. 

Here is what we have been told:

STEP 1.) It will skip to books and supplies. KEEP GOING. You can't jump to, you can't hit back KEEP GOING as though you have entered.
STEP 2.) Do NOT put in scholarship amounts when it asks if the scholarship is listed on Box 5 of the 1098-T because you are about to double up. KEEP Going. you are about to circle back.
STEP 3.) Go through all screens. If says can't maximize because no expenses do not fret, Go all the way until it circles back to the Wages and Income screen.
STEP 4.) Go back into Education credit and hit Edit on the student. Will ask if you had education credit.
STEP 5) Once you do you may see the Summary Page of the student. Hit edit on the top one that reads Tuition.
Step 6.) Will ask if you had a 1098-T you say yes, and THERE is the 1098-t.

i found the solution

go to Forms selection

For my issue - i found multiple worksheets and multiple 1098-T forms opened for the "student/child" that I am trying to enter data. (I have used TT for the past 10 years and never had this happen)

Close (ie Delete) the extra forms and the issue finally clears up.

While you are reviewing the form you are keeping - answer the questions that needs to be answered.

I discussed this with TT last evening and hopefully they are putting in a fix

The same is happening to me!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, thank you for that. 

You can always delete and re-enter forms. Sometimes that is easier than trying to fix a problem by editing. 

Also, if you are not too far along, you can opt to "Clear and Start Over". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies