Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ellenhayes73
Returning Member

lifetime learning credit

I am a substitute teacher and I finished a teaching certification program through a state university in Virginia. The program was between September 2020 and December 2020. Because I finished the program I received my provisional teaching license. 

Is there a way I can deduct my tuition for this program. The tuition was $4,600. I paid straight cash, no scholarship or financial aid. The university said they don't mail out a 1098 form because the certification program is a non-credit course.

Can I use the lifetime learning credit? If i can, how do i do it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

lifetime learning credit

It is possible you can claim the credit depending on a few other factors.   One of the advantages of the Lifetime Learning Credit is that you can take the credit every year for higher education, as long as you meet all of these qualifying requirements:

• You, your dependent, or a third party paid qualified education expenses for higher education
  • The qualified education expenses were for an eligible student
  • The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent on your tax return
  • For the full credit, your 2020 MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) is less than $59,000 ($118,000 if you are filing jointly)
    • For a reduced credit, your MAGI is between $59,000 and $69,000 ($118,000 and $138,000 if you're filing jointly)

Related Information:

Qualified expenses are tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment at an eligible institution. The course must be either part of a post-secondary degree program or taken by the student to acquire or improve job skills.

Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses are paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

You can enter tuition that was not reported on a 1098-T in the Education section.   Go through the 1098-T / Education area and you will be able to enter your expenses.   TurboTax will let you know which deduction or credits you qualify for.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

lifetime learning credit

It is possible you can claim the credit depending on a few other factors.   One of the advantages of the Lifetime Learning Credit is that you can take the credit every year for higher education, as long as you meet all of these qualifying requirements:

• You, your dependent, or a third party paid qualified education expenses for higher education
  • The qualified education expenses were for an eligible student
  • The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent on your tax return
  • For the full credit, your 2020 MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) is less than $59,000 ($118,000 if you are filing jointly)
    • For a reduced credit, your MAGI is between $59,000 and $69,000 ($118,000 and $138,000 if you're filing jointly)

Related Information:

Qualified expenses are tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment at an eligible institution. The course must be either part of a post-secondary degree program or taken by the student to acquire or improve job skills.

Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses are paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

You can enter tuition that was not reported on a 1098-T in the Education section.   Go through the 1098-T / Education area and you will be able to enter your expenses.   TurboTax will let you know which deduction or credits you qualify for.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ellenhayes73
Returning Member

lifetime learning credit

ok, it seems that I would qualify but turbo tax just decided that I wasn't. I don't know how to go about putting in my information about the certification program and tuition and expenses. I don't know where to include it. Is it because I didn't get the 1098 form from the university?

Hal_Al
Level 15

lifetime learning credit

In the TT interview, you need to say you qualify for exception to not having a 1098-T and answer yes to credential / certificate question. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies