turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I cannot continue my Federal Taxes (QTP)

Even if the distribution was not used for a qualified expense?

Hi,

I am having the same issue.  My distributions are taxable.   They were not used for student loans.   I am unaffected by the new legislature.

When can this be completed so I can file?  I have a state refund that I need time to process to apply to federal amount owed.   I have everything ready to file, and the only thing preventing me is the TurboTax software.

Like others who have posted before, I withdrew from a 529 plan that I am the owner but not the beneficiary of.  This withdrawal was used for a debt payoff and should be taxed.  How and when can I proceed with final filing?

kcwinz
Returning Member

My 529 plan withdrawal was not qualified and my student loan interest payments exceed the value of the withdrawal amount. Meaning, even if I could, I wouldn't use it. I have no intention or desire to use any of that amount as a deduction. So, why will TurboTax not let me e-file? If I can print a copy and mail it in, why is that same data not valid for e-filing? 

I'm getting the same message and I selected these funds were not part of educational expenses. I think what they are trying to do is get you to pay additionally for the live help.

That would be a shame. I've been using turbo tax for years and this is the first time I've had any issues with them. This is my fourth year of filing with gains from my QTP.  Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I wonder if any of the other tax programs have this issue right now? 

I have QTP gains and was able to e-file with TaxSlayer. I received notification of IRS acceptance same day. This is a TTax issue

I was wondering the same thing if other programs were having this issue. I thought about trying another program, but then I would have to redo everything ugg. This is the first time I have experienced this as well.

Thanks dabasa53. I will use TaxSlayer if this issue is not resolved by TurboTax soon. TurboTax...are you listening?

I already paid for TT. Is there a way to get a refund?

I just used Tax Slayer and filed successfully as well.  This is a Turbo Tax software issue.  I will be requesting a refund for the fee I've already paid them.

With tax slayer, did you notice a difference in estimated tax refund or tax due?

thanks 

So update, I did call the IRS yesterday (didn't have time to post because of Grad School, lol). The nice man I spoke to said everything on their end has been finalized and submitted, so he suspects it to be an internal software issue with TT. 

I've already discussed all of this here with my father, and while he has urged me to simply wait, I am going to give this situation just one more week and if I can't submit my taxes on here by then, then I will switch to Tax Slayer, as suggested. 

This is a TurboTax Issue you can file with H&R Block with no issue. 

Dbirk

@TurboTax  when will this issue be fixed , or I would like a refund because this is ridiculous.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies