turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Matt07924
Returning Member

I cannot continue my Federal Taxes (QTP)

I have another clue.  I entered my 1099-Q's for my two children and my wife.  When I go to input the 1098-T's, only my children show up.  My wife is not listed.  Mistake #1.

When I enter in my wife's information, a tutition amount from the previous year pops up.   Weird.

I cleared it all out and tried again and now it works.  Very very confusing.  

I never had this kind of trouble before....I am concerned about TurboTax for the next year....

Matt07924
Returning Member

I spoke too soon.

I figured out the problem.

It is a TurboTax problem.

When I enter in my wife's 1098-T which has box 8 checked, Turbo Tax says that my wife is a full time student in 2019 for 1099-Q.  This is incorrect.  We withdrew from 529 and paid the school in 2019 for 2020 term.  When I go to fix the 1099-Q for my wife and put down "none of the above" -- she was not in any school at all in 2019, the 1098-T gets wiped out and removed.  If I re-enter the 1098-T, my wife is then marked as full time student which is not correct for 2019.  This is a programming error on Turbo Tax's part.

TurboTax is NOT allowing for someone pay tuition in 2019 for 2020 when they have no schooling in 2019.  

Please fix this.  

Rashmi
Technical Admin

Test reply

Matt07924
Returning Member

Intuit?  I am starting to wonder if I should just go to a different product at this point....

Texan

I was having this problem. 

I think that I may have found the solution - for me at least.

Per the TT search "it is Very Important that you enter QTP information in the proper order".  Since  Form 'Q' comes before Form 'T' (alphabetically).  I went back and deleted both forms.  And then I input the Q information first, and then input the T information.  Everything seems to work now!

Matt07924
Returning Member

Thank you for letting me know.  I also did the same (put in Q before T) but it did not work.  The issue is we paid for my wife's schooling in Dec 2019 for Jan 2020.  Turbo Tax could not handle that as it expected her to be in school in 2019 which is not the case.  No one from Intuit bothered to get back to me and it was such an easy fix....

I just went with TaxSlayer (another product) and it worked just fine.  

Looks like TurboTax is too busy buying Credit Karma to pay attention to me.  🙂

I finished doing my taxes with Turbo Tax but I am  unable to submit them because you ask me to pay much more for a higher level of tax assistance that I do not want.  I cannot finalize my efforts with Turbo Tax because you give me no window or help in finishing the taxes for finalizing  Lucy Baker

I finished doing my taxes with Turbo Tax but I am  unable to submit them because you ask me to pay much more for a higher level of tax assistance that I do not want.  I cannot finalize my efforts with Turbo Tax because you give me no window or help in finishing the taxes for finalizing  Lucy Baker

This is a problem on the last page. There are no more Continues and I cannot proceed.  What are you doing to me?  this treatment is not appreciated.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you can clarify to us what error message you are seeing that is preventing you from filing your tax return we may be able to help you here.

@Lucy Baker

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies