turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am using the hazel wood act for Texas . Do I have to enter the amount that they covered for my tuition in the scholarships and grants ?

I have my 1089-t form and it is blank where the scholarships and grants box is . Since I never got money just my tuition exempt do I have to include this ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am using the hazel wood act for Texas . Do I have to enter the amount that they covered for my tuition in the scholarships and grants ?

It depends. 

If you did not pay any qualified education expenses including tuition and books out of pocket, you do not qualify for any education tax breaks.  Therefore, you do not need to report your Form 1098-T. 

However, if your scholarship only covers your tuition and you paid out of pocket money on your books and supplies, you should qualify for a partial education tax credit or deduction.  To claim the benefits, in the TurboTax program, enter your Form 1098-T information, follow prompts to enter the other education expenses.  

Here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • Follow prompts

Per IRS, if you have paid qualified education expenses and meet certain requirements, you may qualify for an education tax break including the American Opportunity Tax Credit AOTC, Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition & Fees deduction. To see if you qualify, here are the links: 

Qualified expenses

Deductions

Credits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just to be clear when I put the form in my 1089 it gives me money back because of the expenses I paid for like my books and supplies .

im just trying to figure out if the hazel wood act qualifies as a veteran benefit even though when they ask how much money I got I didn’t get any money just my tuition paid for. Should I answer yes or no to that question ?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, the Hazlewood act qualifies as Veterans benefits.

But, if the amount of Hazlewood money does not show up in either box 5 or box 1 of the 1098-T, you ignore it. It is a tuition waiver. Do not enter the Hazlewood amount at the GI benefits box in TurboTax.  You may claim the tuition credit based on books and other course materials, including computers and software. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies