Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hdngu

filing status student loans

Can I file married separately with no income for purposes of ICR plan for student loan repayment?  Spouse makes big income and I make 0.  We have always filed married.  Student loan payments begin and I have Parent Plus loans in my name.  No loans in spouse's name.  Also how do you split dividends/interest in joint account on separate returns?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you have no income of any kind there is no need for you to file a tax return with a filing status of Married Filing Separately.  Your spouse can file their return as MFS and any interest earned can be entered on their tax return.

However, filing MFS is usually the worst way for file when married.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/better-married-couple-file-join...

hdngu

I know MFS is worst way but if I have 400,000 in student loans and consolidate with 0 income by filing separately, my payment will be 0 and in 20 years will be forgiven, with a balloon tax payment hence a cheaper option. Right?

Correct, for now.

Just be aware that federal rules, regulations and the tax code can change at any time, so hanging your future on what is currently available for what may be available in 20 years is risky at best.

Do you live in a Community Property State?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies