turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

010411t
Returning Member

Department of Education Missing Info.

I am trying to get all the info submitted for my sons college and what quality's him for any financial aid etc. He's a senior this year and never had any issues with uploading documents until this year.

I am getting a message saying our 2019 taxes need to be amended because they found three 2019-INT forms that were not included when we filed. 

My bank account does not earn interest. Where else could I be getting a 1099-INT form or where can I find the forms the IRS is showing that I don't have?

Here's the exact message on my sons college login for what they say is missing:

"While reviewing your parent's wage and income transcript we found three 2019 1099-INT forms that were not included on your parent's2019 Tax Return. Per the Department of Education, we cannot complete verification on an incorrect tax return. We will need a corrected tax form (send the original to the IRS) in order to complete verification. Please have your parent provide a signed2019 amended tax form (1040X) with this amount added."

Any help would be appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

If you do not know who issued the 1099-INT forms, then you need to contact the IRS and find out who issued the forms and what is going on.  This could be fraud where someone else used your information to collect interest.  

010411t
Returning Member

This may be a dumb question but how do I contact them? phone, email?

Carl
Level 15

1-800-829-1040

Be ready to be on hold a really long time. Additionally, you can expect to be disconnected while on hold, and expect that to happen more than once. It may take you hours, or even days to get an actual human on the line. Keep in mind the IRS is overloaded beyond their ability to deal with the load by about a factor of 10, because of all this pandemic stuff. So patience is a must, not a choice.

010411t
Returning Member

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Does anything show up on transcripts or are they just based on what I submitted when I filed?

Just wondering is there is an electronic way to see 3 forms I never received? I guess I am thinking the Department of Education had to see an electronic version. I have also not received anything from the IRS showing I failed to file anything for 2019 tax year. 

Here are my tricks for getting a human at IRS.  Call at 8:00 AM your time zone.  

Press 1 for English, then press 2 for Personal Income Taxes, and then push 1, then 3, then 2, then 0# when it asks for your social security number, then 2.

The 0# confuses the system and puts you at the head of the phone line.  It usually takes me 20 minutes to get a person when I use that trick.

There is nothing online that you can look up.  You will have to get a person to find out what is showing as 1099-INT for you.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@010411t 

A Wage and Income Transcript for 2019 from the IRS will list all the 1099-INT forms that were issued to you, even if they were not included in your tax return. That's where the letter from the college says they found them. If you filed a joint return, you have to get a Wage and Income Transcript for your spouse as well, in case any 1099-INT forms were issued to your spouse.

To get a transcript go to the following link on the IRS web site. You want a Wage and Income Transcript, not a Tax Return Transcript.

Get Transcript

010411t
Returning Member

Thank you so much, I do have that and will try to find it.

010411t
Returning Member

OMG mystery solved! My husbands checking and savings account. 3 of them totaling $23.00.

My 2019 turbo tax is no longer on the computer I am using. How do I go about amending the return?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You didn't say whether you used TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software for your 2019 tax return. If you used TurboTax Online, your tax return is stored on TurboTax's computers. You can use any computer to amend it. Go to the link below and follow the instructions for TurboTax Online.

If you used the CD/Download TurboTax software, you will have to either use the same computer that you used for the original tax return, or install the 2019 TurboTax software on the computer you are using now. You will need the .tax2019 data file for the tax return. If the .tax2019 file includes a state tax return, you have to install the state software before you can open the file.

If you don't have the .tax2019 file, you will have to recreate the original tax return, making sure that it exactly matches the return that you filed. Then you can amend it.

In any case, see the FAQ at the following link for instructions to amend your 2019 tax return.

How do I amend my 2019 return?

010411t
Returning Member

Apologies I thought my saying I didn't have the computer anymore that you would know it was software. I have the software still but do not have the computer anymore. 

How do I get the .tax2019 data file?

There is now way I can recreate the file. I have two businesses and there's just no way to recreate it. 

Is there a way it's stored with intuit/turbo tax?

TurboTax does not have the data file that was prepared with desktop software.  It will not help now, but always make a copy of the datafile that is created on a desktop and store it with your tax records for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies