turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file form 8863 online with TurboTax?

I have a TurboTax account and want to fill the 8863 Tax form and as a student doing this for the first time I am not really sure how to do this. Please help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JohnR1

Yes - all versions of TurboTax Online support Form 8863, Education Credits.

To fill out Form 8863, complete the education section by answering the interview questions. While providing your answers, TurboTax will automatically be filling out Form 8863 and checking for deductions and credits you may qualify for.

1. Select Federal Taxes tab (Personal in the Home & Business edition).
  2. Select Deductions & Credits tab
  3. Scroll down the Your tax breaks summary screen until you see the Education group, under All tax breaks, and click on Show more, to the right
  4. Click on the Start button to the right of the Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) category.
  5. Follow the prompts.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Form 8863 is automatically completed based on the information that you enter in the Education section of your tax return.  You will enter information for your school, tuition, other expenses, scholarships, etc.  All of this will be used to complete Form 8863 and include as part of your tax return for the education credit that works best for your situation.  

Use the following steps to get started:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

@Honey Bee43

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I sent in my tax forms today can I still send a 8863 to the IRS through e-filing for my student refund?

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

If you already submitted your return without the 8863, you will need to amend your 2019 to submit the form and claim the credit .Please select this Turbo Tax link for instructions on how to amend your 2019 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I file a form 8863

@807 wrote:

How do I file a form 8863

To enter, edit or delete Education Expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Education
  • On Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T), click on the start or update button

Or enter education expenses in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to education expenses

Hal_Al
Level 15

There's a new urban myth among college students that says they can get a $1000 from the government just for filing a tax form. For most of them, they simply aren't eligible. A full time unmarried student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. You usually must have actually paid tuition, not had it paid by scholarships & grants.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

You cannot claim a credit if you are, or can be, claimed as a dependent by someone else.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies