turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vettwin

1098-T

The program says I already entered the tuition expense but I have not?  Can't find a way to enter that expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JosephF8
Expert Alumni

1098-T

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

From Deductions & Credits

Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update

From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses

Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit

At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kascie420

1098-T

If I already sent my taxes off and I just recieved my 1098t from college. How do I add it on my approved taxes.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

1098-T

If your return has been accepted by the IRS, then you will need to file an amended return in order to include the information on your Form 1098-T.  

If your return is rejected for any reason, then you can include the 1098-T information before you resubmit it.

Typically, including information about your education expenses is a good thing on your taxes because you may qualify for an education tax benefit.  So it is to your benefit to include the information.  Under certain circumstances, the information on the 1098-T in conjunction with your education expenses can lead to taxable income.  So you do need to include it on your return. 

You should wait until your refund has been received before amending your return so that you know the original return has been fully processed.   Then, use the instructions in the following TurboTax article to amend your return:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return

@Kascie420

1098-T

This is a VERY cumbersome and definitely NOT intuitive way to get to the 1099T form.  TurboTax needs to fix this !!!

But thanks for walking us through a process that eventually stumbles upon the screen.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

1098-T

You're welcome!  I'm glad it helped.

1098-T

Do not understand why you go through entire section on education expenses to then have to search for the location to enter 1098-T.  I must have gone through the education section half a dozen times looking for it until I read JosephF8's instructions.  Income sections seem to all start with the "form" and go from there.

Thanks JosephF8 for the assistance.

1098-T

Yes, that was my point too.  It's crazy to have to go through lengthy 1099Q inputs only to arrive at a list of schools which you then have to open individually, with no indication, in order to find the 1098T entry form for each.

TurboTax should change this.  There should be a direct path to the 1099T entry form.

jspadak

1098-T

I am unable to enter 1099T data.  It says this info was previously entered but there is no screen to enter it

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1098-T

Start the interview in the "Education Section" under "Deductions & Credits" wherever it starts you. 

I have not experienced this, but users have said that if they you through the interview, the program goes full circle and the 1098-T entry screen appears at the end. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies