turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gpaola1

I’m a DACA student Do i qualify for the American Opportunity Credit? also i only paid out of pocket for textbooks and test material. I did received my 1098-T from school

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieH1

I’m a DACA student Do i qualify for the American Opportunity Credit? also i only paid out of pocket for textbooks and test material. I did received my 1098-T from school

Once you're approved for DACA/EAD and have received your new SSN you must give up your ITIN.

Once you do that you will not use your ITIN to file taxes ever again your new SSN will be the number you use from now on.

If you have your SSN and you meet the qualifications for the AOC, you can deduct the books and test amterials.

Do I qualify for Education credits such as the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, or the Tuition and Fees deduction?

First of all to qualify for any of the credits the amount you are trying to deduct must be paid out of pocket, if it's a scholarship or perhaps you receive state aid that portion is not tax deductible.

Second, no matter who paid the tuition if your parents claim you as a dependent (they provide over half of your own support i.e.: pay bills, food, clothes, transportation expenses) then they will claim the education credit. This is tax law not something you can decide or argue with your folks about. If your parents do not have an SSN, in other words, they're undocumented they can still claim the credit. 

Third, you may only claim one of these. (i.e. This year John is claiming the AOC therefore he cannot claim the LLC too.)

American Opportunity Credit (AOC)

To qualify you must be attending an accredited school at least as a half time student for at least one academic period. (i.e: Half time student for spring semester)
You must be deducting educational expenses that were paid out of pocket for the first 4 years of higher education (undergrad). 
You must not be convicted of a felony. 
Also, you must be receiving a degree and/or certificate.

The following do not qualify as education expenses:
Room and Board, Parking Permit, Student Health Insurance, Travel and Research expenses.

The following qualify as education expenses:
Books, equipment, fees, and supplies only if they are required for the course. 

The maximum credit per student is $2,500.

The AOC is the only refundable education credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies