turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my daughter who got married at 20 in September? She is a full time student and still lives with me. I have paid tuition and room and board.

Her husband is in the military, however I have taken care of her and still taking care of her.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Can I claim my daughter who got married at 20 in September? She is a full time student and still lives with me. I have paid tuition and room and board.

Only if four conditions are met.

1) Your daughter and her husband MUST file as Married Filing Separate

2) If your daughter will be filing a tax return, then she MUST select the option to indicate that she can be claimed on someone elses tax return.

3) Her husband can NOT claim her for anything, even though he's filing as married filing separate.

4) You daughter MUST be under the age of 24 on Dec 31 of the tax year you are claiming her for.

Carl
Level 15

Note also that there is NO REQUIREMENT for you the parent to provide support to the student....not one single penny. The support requirement is on the student. Not the parent.

Thank you.  This is a big help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies