Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I paid $48k in graduate student loan repayments this year...is any of that deductible?

I know much of that is principal repayment so that wouldn't be, but is all that interest really not deductible or good for any credit if we make a combined salary above a certain cutoff (I'm interested in Federal and MA).  I get the idea and respect it, but at those numbers it seems kind of crazy.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

My wife and I paid $48k in graduate student loan repayments this year...is any of that deductible?

Only $2500 of your student loan interest is deductible.

You can deduct up to $2,500 of student loan interest paid in a given year. As with many tax rules, there is an income limit to this deduction. Your modified adjusted gross income cannot be more than $80,000 (or $160,000 for married couples filing jointly).Jun 2, 2015.

This is the only deduction available in the Federal return.  There are no additional credits for these payments.  If you file married separate, you get no deduction.

The state has some variations in what they allow based on filing status, amount deducted in the Federal , and you'll need to break down your interest by undergraduate and graduate amounts.  The deductible amounts are about the same but there's no income limit.  You 'll be able to make these entries as you go through the state program.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

Only $2500 of your student loan interest is deductible.

You can deduct up to $2,500 of student loan interest paid in a given year. As with many tax rules, there is an income limit to this deduction. Your modified adjusted gross income cannot be more than $80,000 (or $160,000 for married couples filing jointly).Jun 2, 2015.

This is the only deduction available in the Federal return.  There are no additional credits for these payments.  If you file married separate, you get no deduction.

The state has some variations in what they allow based on filing status, amount deducted in the Federal , and you'll need to break down your interest by undergraduate and graduate amounts.  The deductible amounts are about the same but there's no income limit.  You 'll be able to make these entries as you go through the state program.

In everything I'm reading, it sounds like there is an income limit for state taxes in MA for receiving this deduction, but I can't for the life of me find a simple table showing what those thresholds are.  Anyone know where I can find those?  Or am I misreading this and I am in fact entitled to a deduction regardless of our combined salaries?  Thank you very much for any advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies