Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbarkley

My son is a senior in high school. He is currently taking flight lessons for college. Can I deduct this expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My son is a senior in high school. He is currently taking flight lessons for college. Can I deduct this expense?

Yes, you can deduct expense if the class offers a college credit.  High school students (dual enrollment student) are not eligible for the American Opportunity Credit. However, if the course provides a college credit course, the student may qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition and Fees deduction.

Am I limited to the number of times I may use each of the education deductions or credits?

Would I be better off waiting until his college expenses are higher when he is a full time student in college vs

deducting just a few classes taken in High School?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, the American Opportunity Credit can only be claimed four times per student (combined with  the Hope Credit if applicable), so it is to your advantage to wait until you can maximize the benefit because it provides greater credits.  There is no limit for the Lifelong Learning Credit but as indicated, it is not quite as generous (lower amount and nonrefundable).

@cjjensen99

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies