Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My school closed down, I can't get my forms.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You may still be able to claim your education expenses. You don't need a Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement) if either of these apply:

1. You or your dependent:
  • Haven't received a 1098-T by January 31, or by the date you file your return (whichever is later).
  • Requested the 1098-T from your school after January 31 but before filing your return.
  • Cooperated with the school's efforts to get the info necessary to send you a 1098-T.
  • The school is not required to send you a 1098-T.
  • If you don't have a 1098-T, you'll need to make sure you have your enrollment at the school and education expenses documented.

My school closed down 08/02/2021 Independence University while I was in class. I have attended there since 2019 after closing  I  enrolled in Strayer University after Independence University shut done. U receive my 1098-t form from strayer university but I haven’t gotten one from Independence and I can’t get in touch with no one there

Hal_Al
    Level 15

After answering no to the did you receive a 1098-T  question, you will be asked if you qualify for an exception. Answer yes. 

how do i claim my education i don't have a one of the 1098-T because the school closed 

Hal_Al
    Level 15

Q. How do I claim my education if I don't have a 1098-T because the school closed?

A. 1098-T or not, your school must have been an "eligible institution" to claim the tuition credits.  In the TurboTax (TT) interview, after you say no to whether you have a 1098-T, say yes to the you qualify for an exception question. 

To be eligible for the tuition credits or tuition & fees deduction, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they issue a 1098-T they are probably an eligible institution.

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/eligible-educational-ins...

Holli1106

Same here. I was an active student as well and enrolled in 2019, as well. I haven't heard anything. Please reach out to me if you hear anything. I even had a hard time transferring my credits (33) to be exact they didnt transfer. May god bless and your schooling & best wishes former classmate. 

AliciaP1
    Expert Alumni

If you did not receive your 1098-T you can follow this information in order to determine if your school is an eligible institution.  If it is listed you can amend your previous tax return to include the tuition paid without the 1098-T.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
    **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I attended there too. I have the same problem. Where able to get your 1098T eventually? If so , how? 

I attended IU too. I have the same problem. Where able to get your 1098T eventually? If so , how? 

DianeW777
    Expert Alumni

As indicated by our awesome Tax Expert @AliciaP1 a Form 1098-T is not necessary.  Research your payments for tuition and make sure you have any grant or scholarship information you received. Once you have your numbers together you can include the education expense on your tax return. Keep all the documents together with your tax return should you need them for verification in the future.

Helpful details

If the parent is claiming the student as a dependent on their (the parents) income tax return, then the parent enters the 1098-T Tuition form on their (the parents) income tax return.

Before you enter the 1098-T form, here's some important information you need to know:

• If the student on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return, even if your dependent paid the tuition.
    • If the student on the 1098-T is you, and you're not being claimed as a dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return unless your employer paid for or reimbursed your tuition (in which case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records).

If you need to wait to gather your information, you can always file your return, then amend when you have all the information you need.

@AmberSullivan1

[Edited: 02/11/2022 | 12:11p PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
    **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi I don't know if you've already figured your situation out but I graduated from Independence University in September of 2020 and was having trouble getting my documents as well but this email was helpful [email address removed] Also if you even need your education documents from Independence University then you can order them from here http://smptranscriptservices.com/ hope this helps!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies