Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

boresca

My parent plus loans were sold to another servicer in 2023. I received a 1098-E with the amount of interest received by the lender. Should this be reported, deductible?

I made no payments in tax year 2023 due to forbearance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My parent plus loans were sold to another servicer in 2023. I received a 1098-E with the amount of interest received by the lender. Should this be reported, deductible?

It depends. 

Is the 1098-E issued to you or your parents?

If you are legally obligated to pay on this loan, and the 1098-E is issued to you, yes, you would claim that on your tax return unless your parents claim you as their dependent. 

If your parents claim you as their dependent, they claim the interest.

According to the IRS:

“Interest paid by others. If you are the person legally obligated to make interest payments and someone else makes a payment of interest on your behalf, you are treated as receiving the payments from the other person and, in turn, paying the interest.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. My parent plus loans were sold to another servicer in 2023. I received a 1098-E with the amount of interest received by the lender. Should this be reported as deductible?

A. Yes. You effectively paid it, since it was added to your debt, at the new loan provider. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies