turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student Worksheet Part VI line 20 deducts scholarship received in line 15 from expenses paid in line 1, which is already net of scholarships. What have we done wrong?

It appears that turbo tax is reducing the amount we paid by the amount the institutions offered in scholarships.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anita01

Student Worksheet Part VI line 20 deducts scholarship received in line 15 from expenses paid in line 1, which is already net of scholarships. What have we done wrong?

Look at the amounts in Box 1 and 5 on your 1098-T.  The box 1 amount is before the deduction of scholarships received. 

The box 1 amount IS the amount I paid to the institution.  It was after Scholarships.

For an example, Box 1 show $5,000 - the amount I paid out of pocket, Box 2 is blank, box 5 shows $3,000.  Part VI say my adjusted expenses are $2,000 when I am out of pocket $5,000.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies