turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ha9891428

If I'm an international student with an F-1 visa but have residency since a parent is a veteran can I file for 1098-T for a tax refund?

The school I'm attending gave me residency status since I'm a dependent of a veteran but I'm also an international student with a F-1 visa. Can I file my 1098-T I received?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If I'm an international student with an F-1 visa but have residency since a parent is a veteran can I file for 1098-T for a tax refund?

It depends. 

Per IRS rules, if you have stayed in the US for less than five years, you are considered as a non-resident and cannot file the Form 1098-T because you do not qualify to claim any education credits. 

If you have stayed in the US for more than five years, you are considered as a resident, you can file the form to claim one of the credits. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

It depends. 

Per IRS rules, if you have stayed in the US for less than five years, you are considered as a non-resident and cannot file the Form 1098-T because you do not qualify to claim any education credits. 

If you have stayed in the US for more than five years, you are considered as a resident, you can file the form to claim one of the credits. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies