Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cammvey

What if i dropped out of school?

i attended college in the winter and spring terms 2015-2016 but dropped out after the summer. what do i do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If you meet the requirements below, you don't have to make any adjustments. 

If you don't meet the below requirement, you must subtract your tuition from other tuition that you are reporting. If none left, you don't even have to claim 1098-T.

Please read carefully:

By definition, a student is an individual who is enrolled in courses in a qualifying institution or program during each of 5 calendar months during the tax year.  A full-time student is one who is enrolled for the number of hours or courses considered to be full-time attendance by the school. The 5 calendar months do not have to be consecutive.

In other words, you must be enrolled at least half-time for a minimum of one academic period during the tax year. The academic period must begin either during 2015 or the first three months of 2016 to qualify for the credit.

You may refer to the IRS Publication 970 for more details.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If you meet the requirements below, you don't have to make any adjustments. 

If you don't meet the below requirement, you must subtract your tuition from other tuition that you are reporting. If none left, you don't even have to claim 1098-T.

Please read carefully:

By definition, a student is an individual who is enrolled in courses in a qualifying institution or program during each of 5 calendar months during the tax year.  A full-time student is one who is enrolled for the number of hours or courses considered to be full-time attendance by the school. The 5 calendar months do not have to be consecutive.

In other words, you must be enrolled at least half-time for a minimum of one academic period during the tax year. The academic period must begin either during 2015 or the first three months of 2016 to qualify for the credit.

You may refer to the IRS Publication 970 for more details.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies