turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seya95

I am a graduate student. Am I considered a resident of OH (where I go to school) or my home state?

I am a graduate student with a year-long lease for an apartment in OH.  For car insurance purposes, I have vehicle registration and license in OH, but I have every intention of moving back to my home state after graduating.  Which state am I considered a resident of... OH or my home state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

I am a graduate student. Am I considered a resident of OH (where I go to school) or my home state?

If you lived in OH the whole year, I would consider you a resident of OH. However, there are exceptions as listed in the TurboTax FAQ below.

I determine it by asking "where do you come home to after school/work?"

Once you graduate and move to another state, your residency will move to that state.

You can always review the different situations and see examples in the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301816

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

If you lived in OH the whole year, I would consider you a resident of OH. However, there are exceptions as listed in the TurboTax FAQ below.

I determine it by asking "where do you come home to after school/work?"

Once you graduate and move to another state, your residency will move to that state.

You can always review the different situations and see examples in the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301816

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies