ha9891428

If I'm an international student with an F-1 visa but have residency since a parent is a veteran can I file for 1098-T for a tax refund?

The school I'm attending gave me residency status since I'm a dependent of a veteran but I'm also an international student with a F-1 visa. Can I file my 1098-T I received?

LinaJ2018

It depends. 

Per IRS rules, if you have stayed in the US for less than five years, you are considered as a non-resident and cannot file the Form 1098-T because you do not qualify to claim any education credits. 

If you have stayed in the US for more than five years, you are considered as a resident, you can file the form to claim one of the credits. 

LinaJ2018

It depends.