turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jberroa

I was given per diem from my company but was taxed on it. Is there any way to claim or get that taxed per diem back?

The taxed per diem was listed on line one with my regular pay in my W-2 making my earned income look bigger than it was.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I was given per diem from my company but was taxed on it. Is there any way to claim or get that taxed per diem back?

Assuming the per diem was a reimbursement for work related travel, including meals. you may have a deduction for travel expenses that can be used to offset the income through itemized deductions.  Use Deductions & Credits for all itemized deductions.

In TurboTax for job related expenses specifically do the following:

• In the search box type employee business expenses
  • Jump to employee business expenses
  • If you are a transportation worker be sure to check that box for special allowances
  • follow the prompts DO NOT enter any reimbursements that were included in box 1 of your W2.*

* I have included a screenshot showing you this section.

Carl
Level 15

No. Starting in 2018 W-2 job related expenses are no longer deductible. So if the per diem was included in box 1 of your W-2, it's taxable income to you.

You may wish to talk with your employer about an "accountable" reimbursement plan. This is a plan where you provide the employer receipts for your qualified W-2 job related expenses and they reimburse you. Then the amount reimbursed is not included on your W-2 and you therefore don't get taxed on it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies