turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ehsan_yz

I am a postdoctoral fellow at University of Hawaii and receive pay checks with no tax deductions. I don't receive w2 or 1099. How I should file my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

I am a postdoctoral fellow at University of Hawaii and receive pay checks with no tax deductions. I don't receive w2 or 1099. How I should file my tax return?

If you eared $600 or less you may not receive a 1099. Missing a 1099 is only a problem if you don't have your own records, and therefore don't know how much income to report. Unlike a W-2, which you're required to include with your taxes, 1099 forms don't get filed along with your return. So as long as you know what amount to report, there's no issue with not having the actual form. There are two possible ways to report the income, depending on the reason for the income.

1) Other income

• It's money you received from something like a prize, award, lawsuit settlement, etc.
  • It's most often on a 1099-MISC (Box 3).
  • You report it on Line 8 of Schedule 1 of the Form 1040.

2) The IRS considers you self-employed and have your own business if: 

1. You earn money as a contractor, consultant, freelancer, or other independent worker.
  2. You income is reported on 1099-MISC (Box 7), 1099-K (Box 1a), or you receive cash, check or credit card sales transactions, instead of a W-2.

When you have self-employment income, the IRS: 

1. Requires you to complete Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business.
  2. You can deduct expenses related to the income.
  3. Requires you to pay self-employment (social security and Medicare).

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Carl
Level 15

I don't receive w2 or 1099.

If 2019 is the first tax year for this situation, then you won't receive any type of tax reporting document until the end of January 2020 at the earliest. I have absolutely no doubt that you *WILL* receive either a W-2 or 1099-MISC by the end of January. Might even be something else such as a 1099-R for example. So you really need to wait.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies