turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a full time college student and also a recipient of federal work study. Taxes aren't taken out of my paycheck, will I still need to file taxes next year?

I am a full time college student and also a recipient of federal work study. Taxes aren't taken out of my paycheck, will I still need to file taxes next year?

The federal work study is shown on my finical aid status, does that mean I do not need to file taxes next year and my mom can claim me as a student? Or will I need to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Depending on the amount you earn, you may need to file a tax return.  If you are a dependent and the total is less than the personal exemption ($12,400 for 2020) you would not have to file a tax return.  

Except in rare cases, work study is treated as any other job but also counts as part of your financial aid. You should check with the school- you want to make sure they have the correct information for withholding.

If you are a full time college student under age 24, if you do not pay for more than half of your own support (including tuition and living expenses)- your mom should still be able to claim you as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

How was the income reported to you; W-2, 1098-T box 5, 1099?

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC, so you mother's ability to claim you as a dependent is usually  not affected by this income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies