Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lopez

My girlfriend lives with me she was unemployed for all of 2016 and was a full time college student. Can i claim her as a dependent? she had grants and loans no income

Can she even file for taxes for 2016
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

My girlfriend lives with me she was unemployed for all of 2016 and was a full time college student. Can i claim her as a dependent? she had grants and loans no income

Yes, your girlfriend may be claimed as a dependent on your tax return under certain circumstances.

Read more here to see if she qualifies:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288503

If you're still unsure, try entering your girlfriend's information in TurboTax and let the program tell you if you can claim this person as a dependent.

The rules for filing are that if your income is less than the minimum required to file a tax return, and you don't believe you may receive a refund of any income taxes that you paid, you aren't required to file a return. Read more here: Do I need to file a federal return this year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, your girlfriend may be claimed as a dependent on your tax return under certain circumstances.

Read more here to see if she qualifies:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288503

If you're still unsure, try entering your girlfriend's information in TurboTax and let the program tell you if you can claim this person as a dependent.

The rules for filing are that if your income is less than the minimum required to file a tax return, and you don't believe you may receive a refund of any income taxes that you paid, you aren't required to file a return. Read more here: Do I need to file a federal return this year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Hal_Al @Carl Who can claim the education tax benefits if the girl friend is claimed by the boy friend?
Carl
Level 15

The parents if they qualify. Remember, the parents do not have to claim the GF as their dependent. They only have to "qualify" to claim her. If I recall, the only credit the parents lose in the AOC. They can get all the others, based on out of pocket expenses, regardless of who paid those out of pocket expenses.
Hal_Al
Level 15

I don't think so. Whomever is claiming the student's exemption gets to claim the education credit or deduction. So, if the GF qualifies as the  the BF's dependent, and he claims her, he gets the tuition credit too.

I agree with Hal_Al but I wasn't certain about it.
Carl
Level 15

Yep.. I guess it depends on the credit too. For example, for the AOC, Pub 970 clearly says:

Generally, you can claim the American opportunity credit
if all three of the following requirements are met.
-You pay qualified education expenses of higher education.
-You pay the education expenses for an eligible student.
=The eligible student is either yourself, your spouse, or
a dependent for whom you claim an exemption on
your tax return.
So the best one can say really, is that if the BF did not actually pay them, he can't claim the AOC. I'm sure this holds true for the other credits. But not getting into that because we already know the criteria differs for each credit.

Parents are allowed to claim the expenses paid out of pocket or with loans regardless of who actually paid them. Why would the requirement be different for a student claimed as a qualifying relative than a student claimed as a qualifying child by a parent?
Carl
Level 15

"THAT"'s the thing I had on the tip of my tongue Texas Roger!
Hal_Al
Level 15

The BF can claim the AOC, whether he pays the expenses, the student pays the expenses or the even the parents pay. As long as the expenses were not paid by tax free grants.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies