turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unflexable2020
Returning Member

How do I override Turbotax requirement to enter a 1098T

I have a daughter attending University of London Royal Holloway and would like to use the American opportunity tax credit.  The university does qualify per the IRS guidelines as it is a DAPIP school that participates in the US Federal student loan program and is listed on their site (has a OPE ID00908600).  Royal Holloway, University of London does not have an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) which is required to complete the 1098-T form.  The IRS indicates that a student can claim the credit without the 1098-T form if the university does not provide the form (see q19) https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-questions-and-answers.  So, my question is how do I override the requirement in Turbotax so I can take the credit? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You will go to Deductions and Credits, Education, Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)

Answer No to the question about having a 1098-T

Answer Yes to qualify for an exemption (because the school is not required to send a 1098-T)

Click that the school has a foreign address

Then go through the interview and complete all of the questions.

Unflexable2020
Returning Member

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately that does not work because the University does not have a US Tax Identification number.  They are eligible according to IRS website.  Turbotax requires the number to enter into the form if you did not receive a 1098T.  I should then clarify the request.  How do I get turbotax to accept the AOTC without a University TIN?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, if the school does not have a EIN, you cannot claim the American Opportunity Credit.

EIN

The American Opportunity Credit is only available if the institution is administered by the U.S. Department of Education. 

Please see the following link to determine if the school qualifies as an eligible institution.

Eligible education institution search

If your school is not on the list, you may still be entitled to the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition and Fees Deduction instead.

Chart comparing credits

Tuition & fees deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Unflexable2020
Returning Member

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  The school IS on the list.  The school does not have a EIN. But without the EIN it appears it is not possible to file.  The Lifetime Learning Credit does apply, and is the next best option.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If it is an eligible institution, you can take the credits you qualify for.  After you enter the school name in the Education section, you will be asked if you received a Form 1098-T from this school.  Answer no, and you will be asked to enter the qualified expense on the next screen.  This includes all expenses whether paid by a loan or a grant. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies