Solved: How can I claim school expenses for 18-yr old dependent that filed 1040EZ and didn't check box that someone else can claim her?

How can I claim school expenses for 18-yr old dependent that filed 1040EZ and didn't check box that someone else can claim her?

My 18 yr old daughter files a tax return to get withholdings back, made less than $6K last year, and checked the box that no one else could claim her. I paid $1,700 in college tuition and books for her and claimed it on my joint return with my wife. I got an error that I couldn't claim this because her SSN was already on file with her return claiming her personal exemption. How can I claim the $1,700?

The software is suggesting I delete her as a dependent so I don't get the deduction. How can I fix this?

Your daughter would now have to file an amended tax return to check that box under Personal Info.  She should wait until receiving the refund from her original return.  Amended returns have to be filed on paper and in the mail.  It takes the IRS 6-12 weeks to process them.  The amended return does not "catch up" to and correct the original return.  You will have to file on paper this year.

Here are her amend instructions:

Here are her amend instructions: