Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8615 Error - Filing Rejected

@LinaJ2020  Will you please post to this thread when this issue has been resolved?  I am waiting to file the returns again until TT is certain the issue is fixed.

@LinaJ2020  I concur with the previous post.  Please confirm when the issue is resolved.  The latest update doesn't seem to have resolved the issue.  We updated, deleted Forms 8615, reran the numbers and see no difference relative to the return that was rejected several weeks ago.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Per the update, the issue should have been fixed by 4/3/2020.  I have started seeing customers respond that they are able to e file and got their return accepted. 

If you have tried to e-file more than four times, the IRS will not accept it.  I would suggest you print out your required tax forms and submit them by mail. 

@ssaak@Edward99

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LinaJ2020  Thanks for the response.  As I stated above, we updated TT, recalculated, and saw no changes to the numbers.  Since you said the issue is resolved, we opted to electronically refile this morning and the IRS accepted!  I don't understand why it failed before but worked this time, but I guess that's unimportant.  I double-checked the numbers, by hand, and agree with the TT result.

Thanks again.

@LinaJ2020  (apologies for the long post)

I'm about to hit the 4x e-file limit, so I'd appreciate advice before I press the button to file again.

My program indicates it is up to date if I use the menu option :  online-> 'check for updates' .

Online-> 'view installed updates' shows that state, federal tax forms and program updates are all at "(Released 4/1/2020)" level.

However, I don't see any changes to the values on form 8615 or its worksheets.  And I still see what appears to be conflicting information on two of the worksheets - "8615 L7 Qual Dv" and "8615 L7".  I have deleted the forms and worksheets and re-entered the information for the parent, but no changes in the resulting values.

These are the 8615 related forms I see: (form view: Forms in My Return)

Form 8615

8615 QDCG Wks

8615 L7 Qual Dv

8615 Parent Wk

8615 L7

Other than a minor difference in the header information, the two L7 worksheets seems to have the identical instructions and calculations.  BUT, the values entered by TTax starting on line 2 are different and the result (line 26) ends up being different.  The value on line 26 is transferred to line 7 on form 8615.

If I select the value on line 7 of form 8615, it highlights the field and presents a magnifying glass that takes me to the supporting form (8615 L7, line 26), which doesn't match.  8615 L7 Qual Dv, line 26 DOES match the value on form 8615 line 7, but that isn't where the program takes me via the magnifying glass link.

I had concluded that this difference between for 8615 and the linked worksheet was the reason that the filing was repeatedly rejected, but that is solely a guess.

I would appreciate your insight into whether this is still an issue, ready to file or other actions to take to ensure success.

Thanks,

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

As of today, everything should be fixed by now.  I would suggest you try one more time ( update the program).  If your return still got rejected, print them out and submit them by mail.  Also, see the response from Edward 99 above.

@cjcuneo

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am glad to hear!  Thank you for your patience.  

@Edward99

@LinaJ2020 

Thank you for your followup.  Federal filing was accepted.

It doesn't appear that any of the values changed on the forms or worksheets, but it did go through.

ON93

I tried to delete the form and it told me that I could not.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@ON93

First, try deleting Form 8615 using the TurboTax Help article "How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?" for guidance.

If that procedure doesn't work for you, then you've most likely answered an interview question in a way that indicates to the TurboTax program that Form 8615 must be filed.

Please review Who must file the form? in the TurboTax article What is IRS Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income to see what might be triggering Form 8615, then go to the Personal Info section to correct any incorrect entries.

where do you enter this info at?    I cant seem to check no on the form or delete the form

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

It sounds like you are trying to delete a form. Help with doing so has been provided for you by clicking here.

I have tried 5 times to delete this form as it does not apply to my son's tax return. 

It will NOT delete and keeps taking me back to fill in the information.

HELP

Honest1

TurboTax may or may not do Form 8615 correctly.  When Turbotax can't do 8615 correctly, they have no explanation.  After six calls, they told me to just file the incorrect return, which would have underpaid my taxes.  When I told Turbotax that I wasn't comfortable knowingly filing an incorrect return (underpayment), they told me their guarantee would take care of it. (Does anyone believe that?  Turbotax never gets back to you on anything).  I believe Turbotax is simply hoping the IRS doesn't catch the error their software causes.  This way, (1) Turbotax doesn't have to fix its problem (2) the IRS likely gets cheated, or must do extra work to avoid being cheated, and  (3) if the IRS does catch the error, the taxpayer may get tagged as a cheat and get a $ penalty, as well.  Plus, remember that 8615 is on your child's return - how would you like your child to have "underpaid taxes and was penalized" in all the databases of the world? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies