Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8615 Error - Filing Rejected

My daughters return has been rejected multiple times for Form 8615 issues.  Turbo Tax says it will walk you through fixing it (never does), but I reenter/verify the information on the "interview" and have refiled to be rejected again.

Can someone help explain the issue?

Did the March 20, 2020 update fix this?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The last resort will be removing the form and re-enter the information again. 

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 8615 and Continue with My Return to proceed

To re-enter:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "kiddie tax" and Enter
  • Select Jump to kiddie tax
  • Follow prompts

@KR3W

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Appreciate you trying to help.

I have deleted the form, reentered the same information, ran error check, and now filed.

Hopefully they accept it, if not I am at a complete loss on what the issue is.

Edit - After deleting and reentering as suggested below, I refiled.   30 minutes later the return was accepted.    

TurboTax really had an issue on this one with bad questions ask for information from the wrong lines, lack of clarity (leave blank vs no negative numbers).  

View solution in original post

43 Replies

I have the same issue.  Updated software to 3/20/2020, but same result (rejected again).

Anyone from Intuit listening????

Adding:

My son's return had no issues (strange).

My daughter is now getting calls saying that possibly someone stole her identity.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

You will need to go back through your Form 8615 for the update to make the corrections. The update is available but will not update the form unless you access the form.

What needs to be updated?   They say there is an error, but do not mention what the error is.   

This form was messed up from the beginning by TT by asking for information from the wrong lines.

Edit to add:   When I run error check, it says there is nothing wrong (same as before)... Where is the error that is causing the problem? 

Thanks for the help.

KR3W
Level 1

I went back through the whole form and answered all the questions again, as you suggested, and still got the same rejected result.  It needs to be fixed!

Thank you for your post!  I am having the same problem with my son's return - keeps rejecting for calculations on form 8615.  

Turbo tax help!!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The last resort will be removing the form and re-enter the information again. 

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 8615 and Continue with My Return to proceed

To re-enter:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "kiddie tax" and Enter
  • Select Jump to kiddie tax
  • Follow prompts

@KR3W

Appreciate you trying to help.

I have deleted the form, reentered the same information, ran error check, and now filed.

Hopefully they accept it, if not I am at a complete loss on what the issue is.

Edit - After deleting and reentering as suggested below, I refiled.   30 minutes later the return was accepted.    

TurboTax really had an issue on this one with bad questions ask for information from the wrong lines, lack of clarity (leave blank vs no negative numbers).  

I'm still having issues.  Daughters' returns have been rejected twice for Form 8615. I deleted the form and I am reentering information.

When I get to the screen "Information About Other Children it asks:

Other Children's Net Capital Gain
From the other children's 8615 Worksheet, page 2, Line 5 Worksheet enter the bottom line of the line 5 worksheet (either Worksheet 1, line I; Worksheet 2, line P; or Worksheet 3, line S) as the net capital gain amount.

My worksheet only goes to Letter R??

That is another example of a typo/error (IMO) from TT.   Since all of my numbers on the worksheets were blank, I left it blank.

Not expert advise by any means...

PPK
Level 1

Hi, it looks like I have the same issue with the 8615 form. 

"FDI_8615Line7Box_ErrorHold - This return was placed on hold due to calculation issues found in Form 8615."

In the TurboTax application,  it suggests to "update the 1040 product" and resubmit....

I updated TT, with the 3/20/2020 update and resubmitted taxes.  My kids returns still get rejected.  

Can someone from TT please explain what needs to be done for TurboTax (CD/Download) customers?

The suggested workaround that worked for other users looks to be written for TurboTax Online, and the step-by-step instructions don't seem applicable.   I'd appreciate some instructions or guidance for CD/Download  Thank You.           Pete.... 

It would be nice if the parents and children's returns could be linked so the information could be pulled directly from the parents to the child's return. I am reluctant to submit them again until TT fixes the errors and confirms that they are fixed. 

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

If the rejection code was FDI_8615Line7Box a fix is coming out in about 2 weeks.

An update was loaded 03/20 to correct some of the calculations. To have the 03/20 update fix the problems you will need to go back through the Form 8915 again. After you do this try e-filing again.

Hi,

I had my kids returns rejected for that exact same error FDI_8615Line7Box_ErrorHold.  I go into Turbo tax to correct and it tells me to update the 1040 on or after 3/19.  I log in today and it did update but I haven't re efiled yet. I'm not sure what i'm to fix on the 8615 form as the numbers are correct.

I called Turbo Tax and told them I don't see where corrections were made so i'm afraid it will reject again.  They said calculations were done on the back end and that I should re efile and worse case is it will get rejected again.  Well I don't want to deal with it constantly rejecting.

Per your response below, there is an update coming in two weeks to fix this?  If so I will hold off re efiling.

Please advise as  you seem to know more than any turbo tax person I've spoken to on the phone.  🙂

Thank you.

Its been so frustrating.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies