Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rfuchs60

Is the $600 my son paid for bartender school deductible as a business expense or if he is eligible for a credit for education?

In addition to the bartender school expense, is there a checklist for business expenses he should keep, as a bartender/server? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardK

Is the $600 my son paid for bartender school deductible as a business expense or if he is eligible for a credit for education?

Education is only deductible as a business expense if it is to improve or retain business skills, if it is for a new job or unrelated skill it is probably not deductible. As far as credit for education expense, the education would have to meet all the requirements of that credits or deduction, which it probably does not meet, click here for business expense requirements and click here for education credits and deduction requirements. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardK

Education is only deductible as a business expense if it is to improve or retain business skills, if it is for a new job or unrelated skill it is probably not deductible. As far as credit for education expense, the education would have to meet all the requirements of that credits or deduction, which it probably does not meet, click here for business expense requirements and click here for education credits and deduction requirements. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies