Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know where I can add my college grants as taxable income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Scholarships or portions of scholarships may be taxable. It all depends on how you use them. To quickly get to that section of TurboTax, type scholarships in the search and and select the Jump to scholarships

If your financial aid is reported in Box 5 of your 1098-T form, it'll be accounted for when you enter your 1098-T.

Otherwise, we'll ask about scholarships, grants, assistance (etc.) towards the end of the Education interview. Look for the screen Did [student name] receive a scholarship or grant in 2020? Select Yes and then enter the amount received in the appropriate field.

If you use your scholarship to pay for any of these, it counts as income and the amount paid is taxable:

• Room and board
  • Travel and incidental expenses
  • Any fees, books, and supplies or equipment that aren't required for your courses

If you're getting a degree at an eligible school, your scholarship is tax-free when used for:

• Tuition and fees
  • Fees, books, supplies or equipment required for your courses
  • Any scholarship or fellowship for services received under the National Health Services Corps Scholarship Program or the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

What are you trying to do?

Are you a dependent on your parent's taxes? Did they claim the tuition credit based on your education.

The simple answer to you question is just enter your 1098-T.  If box 5 is more than box 1, TurboTax (TT) will treat the difference as taxable income.  If you other qualified expenses other than what's shown in box 1, the TT interview  will give you  a chance to enter them and TT will adjust the taxable amount. TT puts the income in the right place on the tax forms (line 1 of form 1040 with the notation “SCH”).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies