Canadian Student Abroad
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Canadian Student Abroad

My daughter is currently studying in the USA and has been there for 3 years.  We are unsure to file taxes for 2019 now that she has an income from a part-time job in 2019.  The University will only allow her to work so many hours so her income is low.  We did file the past 2 years so that her tuition can be used as credit.  When we file taxes, do we submit her income or is that not needed?

TIA so much.

2 Replies
Level 15

Canadian Student Abroad

If the student is not a U.S. Citizen or registered alien with a green card and SSN or ITIN, then the student can not use the U.S. version of TurboTax to file a U.S. tax return. The student would need to file IRS Form 1040-NR which can be done online at


Level 15

Canadian Student Abroad

Or....are you asking what to do on your Canadian return?  Or her Canadian return?


We cannot tell you anything about a Canadian return from this forum.


CANADA  This is the U.S. TurboTax public user forum. For help with Canadian taxes, please post your question in the Canada TurboTax user forum., at the following link.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings