turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct my laptop and other accessories as an expense for school as I use it for school? The materials for the class are posted online even though its a actual class

I am taking online classes during the off semester so the computer is required and the class I took this semester was almost all computer work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Can I deduct my laptop and other accessories as an expense for school as I use it for school? The materials for the class are posted online even though its a actual class

There is no longer a tuition and fees deduction, so there is not an actual deduction for the purchase, however, it can be used in the calculation of the education credits. 

A laptop is an eligible education expense to take the Lifetime Learning Credit or the American Opportunity Credit if you otherwise qualify for the education credits.  Depending on what the accessories you purchased are, they may or may not qualify as education expenses.  They would need to be required for your courses in order to be eligible.

Qualified Education Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The accessories were a presentation dongle, a mouse, and an extra charging cord and brick. Do any of those counts?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, those would be required to use the laptop.  An example of something that wouldn't, would be headphones so you could listen to music while you studied. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The simple answer to your question is: your computer and most accessories count as qualified educational expenses for calculating The American Opportunity Credit  (the primary tuition/education credit).

The actual answer is a little more wishy-washy. 

• A computer for school purposes may or may not qualify for these credits.
  • Generally, if your computer is a necessary requirement for enrollment or attendance at an educational institution, the IRS deems it a qualifying expense.
  • If you are using the computer simply out of convenience, it most likely does not qualify for a tax credit.

Most people claim the cost. 

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/can-i-deduct-my-computer-for-school-on-ta...

I know this response is years after the original post, but I just stumbled across it.

A computer is NEVER an expense for the lifetime learning credit, and must meet strict requirements for the American Opportunity credit - namely the computer must be "a condition for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution".

@Sixgunsammy wrote:

I know this response is years after the original post, but I just stumbled across it.

A computer is NEVER an expense for the lifetime learning credit, and must meet strict requirements for the American Opportunity credit - namely the computer must be "a condition for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution".

Do you have a source for that? I tried looking up for Lifetime Learning Credit and couldn't find that information (I'm attending an online university set of courses).

Pub 970 is the layman's guide to educational tax benefits, and information regarding qualifying expenses for the lifetime learning credit can be found here:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970#en_US_2022_publink[phone number removed]

Related expenses.

Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution for enrollment or attendance.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Generally, only Tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance are qualified expenses for the LLC. 

Reference: https://www.eitc.irs.gov/other-refundable-credits-toolkit/compare-education-credits/compare-educatio...

Pub 970 (page 24) goes on to say:

"Related expenses.

Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution for enrollment or attendance"

Perfect, thanks! Looks like I should have bought my materials from the campus store!

It is possible that a laptop bought from campus and required for attendance in university documentation would qualify.

temptt23

It wouldn't have mattered. Only those books and supplies that the college REQUIRES that you buy from them, i.e. you're not given the option to purchase elsewhere, are eligible for the LLC. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies