nquinnt

Can I deduct my laptop and other accessories as an expense for school as I use it for school? The materials for the class are posted online even though its a actual class

I am taking online classes during the off semester so the computer is required and the class I took this semester was almost all computer work.
Vanessa A

There is no longer a tuition and fees deduction, so there is not an actual deduction for the purchase, however, it can be used in the calculation of the education credits. 

A laptop is an eligible education expense to take the Lifetime Learning Credit or the American Opportunity Credit if you otherwise qualify for the education credits.  Depending on what the accessories you purchased are, they may or may not qualify as education expenses.  They would need to be required for your courses in order to be eligible.

Qualified Education Expenses

nquinnt

The accessories were a presentation dongle, a mouse, and an extra charging cord and brick. Do any of those counts?

Vanessa A

Yes, those would be required to use the laptop.  An example of something that wouldn't, would be headphones so you could listen to music while you studied. 

Hal_Al

The simple answer to your question is: your computer and most accessories count as qualified educational expenses for calculating an education credit.

The actual answer is a little more wishy-washy. 

• A computer for school purposes may or may not qualify for these credits.
  • Generally, if your computer is a necessary requirement for enrollment or attendance at an educational institution, the IRS deems it a qualifying expense.
  • If you are using the computer simply out of convenience, it most likely does not qualify for a tax credit.

Most people claim the cost. 

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/can-i-deduct-my-computer-for-school-on-ta...