Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Calculating Support with Scholarship

Thanks.

I have other questions

Q my son taxes were accepted by Federal and nd Colorado but not by NJ yet. th epost office closes in 30 minutes. Is it an option to print them and mail them? Will that screw things up? Hes expecting a refund but only due to some earned inocme tax credit that I dont understand how he got as its not on his fedreal only his state. If it werent for that he  might owe in NJ. (I leanred that if you live in nJ but work in colorado you get double taxed)

Q for my taxes, the stimulus  question asks if I received the ltter and shoudl get $1400 - I asnwered no and entered the correct amount 2800 - is htat going to be a red flag for my sons taxes? If I do not need to file taxes - should I not file them? Ilearned in past its good t havet axes in some cases to prove income otherwise get a nonfiler tmt.  B ut in this case it it better not to file to not bring awareness to the 2800 stimulus payment?

Q My mom has a life esstate in the NJ house where grew up and then my kids raised here- I am on deed but found out that I do not own the house. SO, does that mean I cannot write off the property taxes? Or claim any property credits?  She cannot either as she made her residency in FLorida half the year 

Q If I could write off the taxes and my medical is over 11k, and taxes over 10l  then I am better with itemized but since I have no taxable income - its social security disability and the itmeized deductions do nothing....then should I still fill out the itemized portion or just forget it and take standard deduction - eithjer way i get no refund - its all a waste of deductions.  But is it good to have as doumentation? 

Q Thanks -  is there a verions of turbotax to speak with a live person? In the past I did it - but I ahve dektop verions so they told me hwo to so trial online version and get someone to look at my screen - but I forget how to do that. 

Q I f i do not need to file - but I decide to - must I file by today - or can I file anytime and how much time do I have? 

I need more info on wehter or not I should file - espeically since it asks that stiumus question and  I have to put in the 2800- I am afraid it will be a red flag for my son..

Q And even if I cold deduct the prperty taxes if my momhas life esate and my 12k of medical - and itemize - it doe s no good right/ I have no taxable i ncome becaue its soical sec disabbility 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q Thanks -  is there a verions of turbotax to speak with a live person?

A.  Any version but the Free version allows you some help. 

To contact TurboTax (TT) support:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp 

In the search line enter some keywords or question without quotes. On the next page, skip the suggested topic links and scroll down until you see CALL US.  It should show the wait times.  Week days 5 AM - 5 PM Pacific time.  

Turbotax "Live" gets you actual help (an assigned pro) in preparing your return

Q I f i do not need to file - but I decide to - must I file by today - or can I file anytime and how much time do I have? 

A.  You have forever to file.  There is three year limit to a refund. 

Q And even if I could deduct the prperty taxes and my 12k of medical - and itemize - it doe s no good right?  I have no taxable i ncome becaue its soical sec disabbility?

A. Right. It's because you have no taxable income to reduce with deductions. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Is it an option to print them (NJ) and mail them? Will that screw things up?

A. Yes. It will only delay his refund.

Q.  I dont understand how he got EIC as its not on his fedreal only his state.

A. Fedearl EIC is age based. I'm not familiar with NJ

Q.  I leanred that if you live in nJ but work in colorado you get double taxed.

A. I'm not specifically familiar with NJ, but thatdoesn't sound right.  Your resident usually gives you a credit for tax paid to a non resident state. 

Q. B ut in this case it it better not to file to not bring awareness to the 2800 stimulus payment?

A. No.  That info is only used by TT to calculate your rebate (0 in your case)

Q. My Mom cannot do either as she made her residency in FLorida half the year.

A. Property tax is deductible on the federal return, on any property you own. It does not have to be your primary residence. I'm not familiar with any NJ property credits.  

Thanks

Q I got CD desktop Premier version - so can I use the Call feature? and I m not very technical - what is turbtotax live and are yo saing they would give me assigned pro who would walk through my taxes! I did call once last year and the guy said to sing up for trial online vesion but it was tricky and then it was har fro them to get on and share screen - so I didnt check the price but your saying that online version will proivde more help? 

you have been most helpful bnut it w ould be great to have someone asssinged por to walthrough - are they CPAs o accoutnants or experts?

Do youj know the price and do they help all year with questions or jsut for taxes? 

Q is that help availabel all year or only during tax times?  DO you knw the cost? Then I dont have a CD or anyting on my hard drive?  But could share them with others more easily? 

Q Should I file taxes even if if I do not have to...When my kids applied for financial aid the fin aid guy said better to jsut have a nonfiler stmts but they do not get fin aid anymore (my daguther is working and son in grad school no aid)

Q And if you recommend filing them, then do you recoomend outting down al lthe itemized deductions or not to bbother since I have no taxable income to deduct? 

Q where on federal would I see an earned income credit becaue the msg inturbotax said his nj EIC (don know what that is) was based on his federal - but I dont see any federal EIC - where is that located?

Q so, if my mom has a life estate and even if I am on ded - I dont own the hosue - didnt realize this until years of taking nj senior freeze for those low income people over 65 or on disability so have no idea if I owe that back or my  mom does...but I must own the home not just be on the deed? 

Q So I do not need to file today - benefit is I can efile vesus snail mail - i ddd get a$50 nj refund if i say i am renting which I pay for everything - even though I don own house and get get no write off! and neither does my mom in nJ  with high 12k taxes

Q I do not know what to do - my mom is 93 and if soemthing happens I need to find oother hosusing and am on disabilty so would need to look forlow income - I aussme hey want taxes to prove income?

Q Bottomline I dont now whether to file!!  Can you give advice on thebenefits of filing vs not filing?

REgardint the double taxation with Nj and Colroado-I had no idea how to follow the directions in turbotax. If I did it wrong then can amendment be done?

I followed as best I could

Q it said that Colorado portion of IRA deduction of 6k is 2758 caluclated by TT thne had this other info to click onfrom TT that I dont understand - he paid a lot to move out there for summer - moving epx listed but I ahd no idea if you add thtme 

This is from TT:

Part-year and Nonresidents: The amount of federal adjustments that are included in the Colorado column of Schedule 104PN are the federal adjustments to the extent they apply to Colorado source income. The program automatically calculates the Colorado adjustment based on the type of income entered for most common adjustments.

The following adjustments are included in the automatic calculation and are allowed in the ratio of Colorado wages and/or Self-Employment income to the total wages and/or Self-Employment income:

- Educator expenses;
- Business expenses of a reservist, performing artist, and fee-basis government officials;
- HSA and MSA account deduction;
- Self-employment tax;
- SEP, SIMPLE, 501(c)(18)(D), and qualified plan deduction;
- Self-employed health insurance deduction;
- Individual Retirement Account (IRA) deduction;
- Charitable Contribution if taking the standard deduction;

The following adjustments are included in the automatic calculation and are allowed in the ratio of Colorado income to federal income;

- Student loan interest deduction;
- Tuition and fees;
- Alimony;
- Reforestation amortization;

The following adjustments need to be made manually by the customer;

- Jury duty pay deduction if the income was reported to Colorado;
- Penalty paid on early withdrawal if paid while the taxpayer is a Colorado resident (Nonresidents may not claim the penalty for early withdrawal);
- Moving expenses if incurred while moving into Colorado;
- Deductions associated with the rental of personal property (if related to income reported in Colorado);

For more information, go to tax.colorado.gov, enter "Part-Year Residents & Nonresidents" in their search engine, and select the most appropriate result.

Then on another screen it shows income in Colorado that is less than what he made in Colorado and I dont understand that either or if it is correct or if I need to manually change it and will cut and paste screen shot below: 

Oops it wont let me cut and past a screen shot - this is whre sharing screen would be helpful.  

And it wont let me cut and paste...

Shows AGI federal incoem after Corlado adjustment 16,736 which looksnormal

Then says income not earned in coldorao is 9,044 when in fact my sons income was all from colorado

The it says Colorado income after adjsutment is only 7,692  - where di this come from? He made 10,450!

And then it says Colrado income tax $86 and then what he actuall paid from tax witheld was $23 and shows therefore rfund of 337.....But the amount TT is saying he made in colorado is incorrec t- I didnt know what to do so jsut put blind fatih in it...

Does tht sound right?

And he had taxes for NJ I paid of $47 but then gets EIC of $601.

I jsut wanted to get them done but now am wondering if the Colorado is correct as no explanation was given from TT why he made 10,450 but they are adjusting it twice and reducing it to 7.692?

Anyway - I submitted them so Iwas wonderin gif there needs t obe an amendment or if its even worth it as I dont know how the caluclations were done in TT 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You should ask a new question, to get people familiar with those two states to reply.

Ok  Q  so I can I cut and paste and put it in a new general post the way you told me to? I ahve typos due to tremors...but i will try and copy and paste - what state are you in

Q also regarding my taxes- I am trying to decide whether to file....And now not sure if I have to or noth - I have about $775 in interest and dividends.  Does that require me to file? 

And is there any reason why I should or should not file? I know for financial aid it would have beeneasier if i filed versus getting audited and pulled for verification was like an audit. had I known that was the reason i woul dhave filed - I got bad advice from the fin aid guy. 

I need to decide soon and also - if I do file should I put in all the itmeized deductions or jsut delete them al lsince its mott since I ahve no taxable incme only ss disability.

Thanks

IK did try to post here - but right now more concerned if I shoudl file my taxes - his are done and its too late to change would need amendment and mayeb not even worth it..

Do oyo recommend I file taxes and if  I made $775 in divivdend and interst do I need to?

Thanks

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  so I can I cut and paste and put it in a new general post the way you told me to? I

A. Yes. 

Q. what state are you in

A. Ohio

Q.  I have about $775 in interest and dividends.  Does that require me to file?

A. No. Simple rule of thumb: you must have $12,550 or more of income, other than your social security, before you are required to file.  

Q. And is there any reason why I should or should not file? 

A. I don't recall hearing any reason, you need to file for 2021.  You  don't need to meet  the Oct 17 deadline. It can be done later, if you change your mind. 

Q.  If I do file should I put in all the itmeized deductions ?

A. No. 

I accidentally edited my taxes from 2020 and have no other copy and need them what do I do? I thought I was editing 2021. I need my 202o taxes and now have no copy- I can beleive I edited the wrong taxes. I ahve no saved copy - stupid me. 

I will need those taxes for lots of things - my dagutghers loanforgivness etc. and other reasons -  I usually dont file and use nonfiler statment but now I ahve no copy of 2020 taxes. What should I do?

Andin fact if I file 2021 it will need AGI and I ahve no idea now what it is. 

And I tired to match agains the comaprison of 2021 and 2020 but does the 2021 pull from the desktop verision athat I arelady changed or the original version  - the saved copy on my comptuer that I saved but not sure if correct version has different AGI and there arent any files saved udner turbtox for 2020 on my comptuer. I cant beleive this. Waht do I do - How do I get the copy of 2020 of only on desktop versions?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Start a new question question and contact TT support.  I have no experience with that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies