turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a college student and employee for 2018, would my son fill out a 1040EZ or 1040 form? Thank You.

My son is 18 years old and attending a university as a Freshman (2nd semester).  During his 1st semester in 2018 he worked a part-time job at the university and received financial aid in the form of Scholarships, Grants, and Loans.  As his father I will be claiming his as my dependent using TurboTax Deluxe.  Would my son fill out a 1040EZ or 1040 form?  Thank You.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

As a college student and employee for 2018, would my son fill out a 1040EZ or 1040 form? Thank You.

I just found out everybody will use the new 1040 form for 2018.  Will my son need to submit any additional forms based on his situation?

No, he will not. You are correct, everyone will use form 1040, the 1040-A and 1040-EZ have been discontinued. Based on the information in your question, he will only need his W-2 from his part time job. You will be reporting any forms related to his education (ex. 1098-T) as you are claiming him as your dependent. 

Thanks Jessica for your help.

How can I get my Texas 2018 growth pain

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies