Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gmas847
Returning Member

AOTC claimed in 2017. In 2018 only received a 1098T from a different school Can I continue to take an AOTC deduction? Regarding 1098T where do I deduct tuition expenses?

AOTC was claimed in 2017 using Turbo Tax. In 2018 I only received a 1098T from a different school. Can I continue to take an AOTC deduction in 2018? Regarding 1098T, where do I deduct additional tuition expenses?  There is no tab for adding related expenses such as books and materials.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

AOTC claimed in 2017. In 2018 only received a 1098T from a different school Can I continue to take an AOTC deduction? Regarding 1098T where do I deduct tuition expenses?

If you are an undergraduate pursuing a degree and were at least a 1/2 time student, you (or your parents if they claim you) can claim the AOTC for up to 4 tax years. After you enter the 1098-T, TurboTax will ask you about additional expenses such as books and materials if you qualify for the AOTC. If you don't qualify for the AOTC and only qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, you can't claim expenses for books and materials. 

If you had scholarship income that paid for expenses other than tuition and fees, that income is taxable on your tax return whether you are claimed as a dependent by someone else or not. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you are an undergraduate pursuing a degree and were at least a 1/2 time student, you (or your parents if they claim you) can claim the AOTC for up to 4 tax years. After you enter the 1098-T, TurboTax will ask you about additional expenses such as books and materials if you qualify for the AOTC. If you don't qualify for the AOTC and only qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, you can't claim expenses for books and materials. 

If you had scholarship income that paid for expenses other than tuition and fees, that income is taxable on your tax return whether you are claimed as a dependent by someone else or not. 

gmas847
Returning Member

Thank you for the help.  Specifically I only received the 1098T.  Having utilized the AOTC last year, how do I still deduct it?  Turbo Tax which I used last year is not asking me for additional expenses either related to the 1098T, so not sure how to accomplish all of this.

If TurboTax does not ask about additional expenses after entering the 1098-T, then perhaps you have answered something wrong which leads TurboTax to believe you are not eligible for the AOTC. How many prior years has the AOTC been claimed for you?
gmas847
Returning Member

I reviewed my 2016 & 2017 returns.  I filed American Opp Credit & Lifetime Learning credits for both years.  So these are not the same as AOTC??

AOTC is American Opportunity Tax Credit. Lifetime Learning credit is a different education credit. You can't claim additional expenses such as books and course related materials with the Lifetime Learning Credit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies