turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I deduct the per diem that I paid to my employee?

As the employer, I paid my employee per diem allowance for her expenses during travelling (during the time she was away from her home while on the project) as per the IRS directions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-regs/perdiemfaq&a.prn.pdf

The daily amount that I paid was within the federal per diem rate limits and I have received expense reports as instructed on the IRS page. These payments have not been included in my employee's wages and as a result on her W2.

My question is, how do I deduct these per diem payments on my business return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If they were for travel put them on the travel line.  If not you can always make your own category later in the program if none of the preset categories see to fit.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If they were for travel put them on the travel line.  If not you can always make your own category later in the program if none of the preset categories see to fit.

According to the IRS definition, it is for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses incurred when travelling. I do not have any receipts other than the expense report showing the business purpose of the trip, date and place.

Per diem is allowable for assignments shorter than one year. Since her project was for almost eleven months, the total per diem paid is a large amount at the end and I do not want to raise any flags even though I followed the IRS directions and limitations. I understand there isn't a specific location for per diem and I will need to distribute it towards different categories such as travel, meals and maybe a few more preset categories as you have suggested.

By the way, how do I create a new category under the business expenses in the Business version? Is it through "All other expenses" and then I manually write the description?

Yes ... just follow the interview ... after the preset categories you will be able to "make your own".

As you say, just be sure to split it for the meals apart from the rest of the per diem. Meals are subject to the 50% limitation, so that needs to be separated out from the rest of it.

Do you mean, it is better to completely distribute it in different categories other than the meal?
Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Yes.  Report the portion for meals under Meals, everything else under Travel.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies