turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

winneymj
Returning Member

1098T Worksheet 'Filer's federal ID' for foreign schools that do not have one...

Hi,

My daughter goes to an approved FAFSA Federal School in the UK but the college does not have a Filer's federal ID.
When she is working through 1098T section we had to enter something for the Filer's federal ID, even though the school does not have one and the school is marked a foreign. I entered all zero's.
When TurboTax checks the return it keeps asking for a valid 'Filer's federal ID' on the 1098T Worksheet, and I cannot get past it.
I saw a post previously that said

"For 2018 return, navigate to the 'Student Information Worksheet' and you'll find the following yes/no question: 'Are all School Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) known?' Answer 'No'. Then return to the 1098-T Tuition Statement and enter all zeros for Filer's Identification Number, 00-0000000. Voila! Now Turbo Tax will allow you to e-file the return without an error flag."

I do not think this works for 2019 return as I cannot even find the 'Student Information Worksheet'.
Does anyone know how to get past having to fill the Filer's federal ID when you do not have one?

A very frustrated user
Mark

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1098T Worksheet 'Filer's federal ID' for foreign schools that do not have one...

First of all, let's verify if your daughter's foreign university is an eligible education institution to claim the tax benefit. To check, click here:  https://ifap.ed.gov/ifap/fedSchoolCodeList.jsp   Under Federal School Code List, select  2020-2021 Federal School Code List in Excel Format.  If her school is not on the list, you cannot claim the benefit. 

Per IRS, to qualify for an education credit, the school must be an educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S Department of Education whether they have a FAFSA id.   If her school is not a qualifying entity, you cannot take any education credits or deduction.  

Beginning in 2017, taxpayers are no longer allowed to claim the American Opportunity Credit (AOC) for education expenses unless the taxpayer provides the Federal ID Number (or EIN) for the school where the expenses were incurred.  You may have to contact the school to obtain the information. You can claim Education Expenses without a Federal ID number only for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  To claim the American Opportunity Credit, you must have a valid federal ID.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

My husband attends Charles University, Prague in the Philosophy department. I was able to find the university under "FIRST FACULTY OF MEDICINE, CHARLES UNIV." with Federal ID no. G33004. He obviously does not attend the medical school at Charles. Does this mean I cannot use this federal ID for him? 

Thanks!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

That is not a valid EIN.  You may have to contact the school to obtain the information. You can claim Education Expenses without a Federal ID number only for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  To claim the American Opportunity Credit, you must have a valid federal ID.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies