turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wkingmom

1098T in the 2023 version seems to have error

My daughter who is in graduate school is filing her own return.  She received a 1098T in 2021 and 2022 for her scholarship and fellowship.  In 2021, Turbo Tax did not tax the scholarship portion (box 1 was greater than box 5).  In 2022, Turbo Tax is taxing a portion (can't find detail on how they calculate the portion it wants to tax).  For 2022 her 1098T box 1 is 34,410 and Box 5 is 32,942.  Box 7, 8 and 9 are checked.  It is pulling $18,332 to her 1040 as other income.  On Schedule 1, 18,332 is under r - scholarships and fellowship grants not reported on W2.  She worked for the university and received a W2 for her hours worked.  Her earnings of $28,970 are reported on the 1040 along with her taxes that she had withheld.  I have had a tax firm look the form Turbo Tax is creating and he said it seems to be an error in Turbo Tax.  Their software would not tax it and it would provide detail of how the $18,332 was calculated.  Help - I am thinking I will need to use another program for her taxes since Turbox Tax seems to have an issue.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Delete the 1098-T and all education information.  It sounds like you did something such as answered that the scholarship income was used for other expenses which is totally allowed when parents want to claim the education credits. Or there is a typo.  It looks like she should have just under $1,800 of taxable scholarship income.  

After you delete the 1098-T, you can re-enter and be sure that you do not answer anywhere that it was used to cover expenses such as room and board.  If you do say it was used to cover room and board, or transportation, it becomes taxable income.  If you are using the online version, go to Tax Tools>>Tools>>Delete a form and delete the 1098-T, student worksheet and form 8863

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wkingmom

That worked!  Thank you!  Not sure what the error but thank you very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies