turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gstsap

How do I find the Principal Business Code (when I don't even own a business)?

1099MISC is driving me nuts.  I worked for a school district in 2015-16.  In 2017 I receive check for an adjustment because they deducted too much from my paycheck and then the 1099MISC with the amount in Box 7.  TurboTax tells me I need to upgrade to TT Small Business Ed.  Whatever. When I enter the info into TT and complete the forms, during the final review it asks questions regarding a sole proprietorship - specifically asking me for a Principal Business Code.  I have no idea what to do here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Also - I submitted electronically but need to file an ammended return (I found some docs after I filed and need to send back some money).  Will that flag me for automatic audits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

How do I find the Principal Business Code (when I don't even own a business)?

You'll find a list of IRS business codes here: https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/instr/i1040sc-016.htm

Just pick the code that most closely fits the type of work you did for the school district.  The IRS uses these codes for statistical purposes only.  The code won't have any effect on your taxes. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies