turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Must I have a business banking account for an LLC that has never done business? I may use the LLC and domain in the future, so pay the annual fees to maintain them.

I set up an LLC in Feb 2018, using LegalZoom. In parallel, I registered a web domain corresponding to the company name. It was all done very quickly, and I used my personal checking account. 

Yet I never did any business. The LLC has sat for a year, untouched. 

I want to keep the LLC registered and the domain active, in the event I use the LLC as a business in the future. Those require annual fees. 

Must I maintain a business banking account for these annual fees? Or can I continue to use personal accounts, and just keep good records?  That way if I start doing business, I can set up a business account and transfer the exact money spent on start-up and maintenance fees. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Must I have a business banking account for an LLC that has never done business? I may use the LLC and domain in the future, so pay the annual fees to maintain them.

You can continue to use your personal account for the charges until the LLC is operational and open, then it is recommended that you get a business bank account. Make sure you keep records of how much you have personally paid for the business. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

You can continue to use your personal account for the charges until the LLC is operational and open, then it is recommended that you get a business bank account. Make sure you keep records of how much you have personally paid for the business. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies