turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

niebauer

I worked as a operating room technician at a local hospital. Do I check public service box?

I have retired and am receiving a retirement income from the hospital.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NicoleU

I worked as a operating room technician at a local hospital. Do I check public service box?

Yes, if you work for the State or a subdivision thereof (such as a City or County) and a member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew.

The IRS defines Public Safety Officer as: an employee of state, county or city who is a law enforcement officer, firefighter, chaplain, or member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew.

In June 2015, the Defending Public Safety Employees' Retirement Act was signed into law.  This law will be in effect for the 2016 tax year and will expand the definition to include:

• Federal law enforcement officers,
  • Federal customs and border protection officers, 
  • Federal firefighters,
  • Air traffic controllers,
  • Nuclear materials couriers,
  • Members of the United States Capitol Police, 
  • Members of the Supreme Court Police, and
  • Diplomatic security special agents of the United States Department of State.
For more information, please see this link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4151557

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NicoleU

Yes, if you work for the State or a subdivision thereof (such as a City or County) and a member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew.

The IRS defines Public Safety Officer as: an employee of state, county or city who is a law enforcement officer, firefighter, chaplain, or member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew.

In June 2015, the Defending Public Safety Employees' Retirement Act was signed into law.  This law will be in effect for the 2016 tax year and will expand the definition to include:

• Federal law enforcement officers,
  • Federal customs and border protection officers, 
  • Federal firefighters,
  • Air traffic controllers,
  • Nuclear materials couriers,
  • Members of the United States Capitol Police, 
  • Members of the Supreme Court Police, and
  • Diplomatic security special agents of the United States Department of State.
For more information, please see this link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4151557

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies