turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

charywlee

I started my business in Nov 2018 but have work-related miles from before. Do I input miles separately from before I started my business?

I have work-related miles from when I was working as an independent contractor but before I started my own business. Where do I input these miles and do I input them separately from my work-related miles after I started my business?

Also, I have been using Google Maps Timeline to log where I have been going - does this count as a legitimate record of my mileage? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

I started my business in Nov 2018 but have work-related miles from before. Do I input miles separately from before I started my business?

Yes, Google Maps Timeline is a legitimate record.

In the eyes of the IRS, when you are an independent contractor, you are self-employed. Enter all of the mileage in your vehicle expenses in the business. Do not seperate them.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy0H

Yes, Google Maps Timeline is a legitimate record.

In the eyes of the IRS, when you are an independent contractor, you are self-employed. Enter all of the mileage in your vehicle expenses in the business. Do not seperate them.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies