Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

phanatix
Returning Member

Why Inventory amount changed the Income & Adjustments amounts in the summary?

In the return with my business, I have a beginning Inventory that was carried over from previous year.  Then when I put in an ending Inventory (which is a higher amount than the beginning Inventory because we have purchased and accumulated more inventory in the year), the Income & Adjustments amount in the tax summary increased by the difference of the inventory?  The inventory is not a sales receipts amount so why would it be added to my income?

Could you explain?

Thanks,

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
phanatix
Returning Member

Maybe if I put some numbers in that someone could explain to me why my income increased when I put in an ending inventory...

Begin inventory = 35000

Ending inventory = 51000

Sales receipt = 5000

Cost of goods sold = 3000

Before I put in the Ending inventory amount of 51000, my Income & Adjustment = 110,000

After I put in an Ending inventory amount of 51000 and Sales Receipt of 5000, my Income & Adjustment = 111,600.  Should my Income & Adjustment be either 115,000 or 112,000?

Carl
Level 15

Not enough information to work with. But here's what I can tell based on the limited data provided.

-You started the year with $35,000 of enventory

- During the year you purchased an additional $19,000 of inventory bringing the total for the year to $54,000

- During the year you sold $3,000 of inventory leaving you with an EOY balance of $51,000

Not sure what "sales receipts" is here for, as that's not anything you're queried for in the Inventory/GOGS section of the program. But assuming it represents your total sales for the entire tax year, after subtracting your cost of goods sold, you have a $2,000 profit.

Not sure on that, since I can't be sure what the 6-digit 1,xx,xxx numbers represent. Gross income from all sources? (not just business) Gross business income? Net business income? Net profit? Net taxable profit before or after a 20% QBI deduction? I'm guessing here.

phanatix
Returning Member

Sorry been away for a bit.  hopefully I can clarify my statements as I may have given wrong numbers:

I did my taxes first without putting in the numbers for my retail sales business...

My AGI was around $110,000 and so Turbo tax had me owing $1,400 in Fed Tax.

I added the following information for my business:

Begin inventory = $35,000

Ending inventory = $51,000

Gross Sales (Income) = $5,000

Cost of goods sold = $3,000

I have minimal expenses this year for the business so I didn't take any deduction for it.

So as you mentioned, the Ending Inventory include $19,000 worth of products purchased in 2020

When I input the able inventory info, somehow it brought my AGI to $129,000 and now the Fed Tax I owe is around $6,200 which is an additional $4,800 in Fed Tax.

Should my AGI be $112,000?

Hopefully that will help to get an answer.

Thanks,

I believe something has been input incorrectly.

While it may be a coincidence, based on your facts, your initial AGI of $110,000 compared to the AGI with your Sch C information of $129,000, this difference, is the same as your current year purchases of $19,000.

Based on your facts, I agree that your AGI should be the $112,000 (sales of $5,000 less CGS of $3,000 = $2,000).

I recommend eliminating all the information you have input for your Sch C and begin again going through the Q&A step by step.  While the difference of $19,000 may just be a coincidence, I'm not sure that is the case here.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies