Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where in turbotax is the depreciation schedule year-by-year

That was a rather old post with respect to "adding a state".

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the BEST answer. THANK YOU for figuring it out and posting it. I have now used this method to save PDFs of the most recent 2 year tax returns and worksheets it works for to cross-check (for me thats 2020 and 2019 - going back to 2018 the only option for amending becomes "download TT desktop and your turbotax file to get started -vs printing or saving as pdf the worksheets"

VERY frustrating that TurboTax makes it so hard to do this. It's buried in their UX and requires multiple counter-intuitive actions and complete DIY even after you've figured it out. If Ive used TT every year to figure my depreciation why on earth wouldn't TT just do this for me? Or at very  least not bury the "print previous year worksheets" under "amend a prior year return" - why not surface that feature right next to the normal "print prior year return?!"

Moreover if I pay the extra money for "live help" why would their live help `tax expert` tell me "oh most people know their own total depreciation from their own record keeping, I have no idea how you could get that from Turbo Tax - I dont do calculations or anything like that." 

Shockingly bad. And salt in the wound that the US tax code is kept complex by incessant intuit lobbying of government to prevent its simplification. 

harpa413

i was excited to find this suggested "amend a return" workaround, but it doesn't work for me. turns out that TurboTax FreeFile (the late lamented) does not allow amendments. and when i download a previous-year return, even the "save a ton of data so i can take it to an accountant" version, the Form 4562 is still not there. 

my current task is to total how much depreciation i've paid in all previous years for a car i drive for freelance work. i have zero idea how i'm going to invent this number. i do have all the data i input to TurboTax for all the years, and all my tax returns. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies