Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

leeesa

Where does a k-1 with unrecaptured 1250 gain and section 1231 gain appear on the 1040?

Why is the 1250 gain not showing up on my 1040 anywhere?  I see the 1250 gain showing up on part 3 line 19 of schedule D but if I look at my 1040 income section the 1250 is not listed - only the schedule D from line 15 is listed.   Should line 6 on my 1040 not include the total of the 1250 gain and the 1231 gain?  Can someone explain?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where does a k-1 with unrecaptured 1250 gain and section 1231 gain appear on the 1040?

What happens here is there was a sale of depreciable property.  All of the sale is reported on other lines; capital gain, Section 1231, etc.

Part of what was sold was what is known as Section 1250 property, real property.  The law says that this property has a capital gain tax rate of 25% and that is why is it showing up on the capital gain (Sch D) worksheet.  This will apply the correct rate for that portion of the property sold.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What happens here is there was a sale of depreciable property.  All of the sale is reported on other lines; capital gain, Section 1231, etc.

Part of what was sold was what is known as Section 1250 property, real property.  The law says that this property has a capital gain tax rate of 25% and that is why is it showing up on the capital gain (Sch D) worksheet.  This will apply the correct rate for that portion of the property sold.

leeesa

so as far as the 1040 income section goes, 1250 will not appear; rather the schedule D tax worksheet takes care of applying appropriate tax to the 1250 gain (income).  Right?

Correct.
leeesa

Thanks so much!

You are welcome.

So does this mean the Sect 1250 gain reported on a K-1 is a portion of the Section 1231?  For instance, assume the 1231 shows $2,000 and the 1250 shows $800, is the $800 taxed at one rate and $1,200 ($2,000 - $800) taxed at a different rate?  Or are both taxed in full at different rates?

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies