Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdb
Level 2

Where do I enter box 6 (Domestic Production Activities Deduction) of a 2019 1099-PATR?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter box 6 (Domestic Production Activities Deduction) of a 2019 1099-PATR?

The domestic production activities deduction (DPAD) expired on December 31, 2017 as the TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act) became effective on January 1, 2018.

See post from @RobertG below. 

[Edited 03/17/2020 | 11:45 AM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rdb
Level 2

Hi, I tried following the instructions in the link but I can't find anything called Tools, and searches for 8903 don't get me anywhere.  Can you give me some other options? 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You will have to report it on line 36 of your Schedule 1. This usually flows from Form 8903, but TurboTax does not support Form 8903. So here what you will need to do:
1. Use TurboTax Desktop (TTD) version, not TurboTax Online.
2. Use this form to fill it out manually https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8903.pdf
3. Then open your tax file in TTD and go to Forms - top left corner for Mac users and top right corner for Win users.

4. On the left where all the forms are listed, find 1040 Wks. 5. Scroll down to line 36 and right above it, you will see a Worksheet.
 6. Add DPAD description in line H. 
7. Put the amount from line 25 of your Form 8903 (see step 2).
8. Enter the amount. 

You will have to file by paper since Form 8903 must be attached to your return and it is not part of TurboTax. 

Here are a couple of links that will help you with logistics:

Purchase TTD https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ (Even Basic version will work for your purposes).

Download your tax file from TurboTax Online to TTD https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...

This question was originally answered by  KristinaK

In 2017 TT took us to Form 8903 but the links don't work now so you have to manually pull up 8903.

The very capable Kccasy answered this question on June 1, 2019 for 2018 tax year and it still works for tax year 2019.

Form 8903 is available in TurboTax Desktop.

Form 8903 will open in TurboTax Desktop Forms Mode.

In Windows version of TurboTax, Go to Forms Mode.

Click on "Open Form" (This button is located just above “Forms in my Return” on the left side)

Type "8903" + Enter.

Click Once on "Form 8903: Domestic Production Activities Deduction."

Click On Open Form

Scroll down to Line 23 and Enter a Sample/Dummy Amount, like $1.00 and press Enter.

This will now populate Form 8903 in Forms Mode.

If Form 8903 is calculating and flowing properly,

• The 1040 wks (worksheet), Part II, Line H should now have DPAD* "Form 8903" followed by it's dollar value.
  • Since Form 8903 falls under Schedule 1, Schedule 1, Line 36 should now also report "Form 8903"
  • Then on Form 1040, Line 7 should reflect Form 8903 calculation as well.
  • This will confirm that Form 8903 is available in TurboTax Desktop.

(Some TurboTax info says Form 8903 is not supported by TT but thankfully it is available. )

rdb
Level 2

So your telling me the original advice from MarylinG1 does not apply to me and that I have to purchase another product and fill out a paper form?  If I wanted to file by paper I would not be using TT.  Further more this will be the second year in a row that TT has lost me money since it can't handle this deduction.  I am a very unhappy customer.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you cannot access a screen in the TurboTax Online interview to enter your Form 1099-PATR box 6 amount, Form 8903 is available in Forms mode in the Download/CD version of TurboTax.  If you have already paid for your TurboTax Online, TurboTax will make a Download version available to you at no additional charge, and an agent will explain how to "move" your tax return from TurboTax Online. You can contact TurboTax using this link  (or using the Live feature if you have that icon) and choose to speak with an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies