turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Review says my vehicle depreciation allowed or allowable is too large on a car that was sold.

Turbo Tax Review says my "vehicle depreciation allowed or allowable is too large".  Sold the vehicle in July 2020 after using it 6 years for business.  I have no idea what or where to make changes.  Looking at the form  (Car and Truck Expense worksheet)  doesn't help as the line in red isn't something I can edit. (line 51)

Also, did some prep work on the car in the process of getting ready to sell.  Could that be a cost of sale expense instead of the normal business expense for the car?  (Oil change, smog check, and a couple of maintenance items).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbo Tax Review says my vehicle depreciation allowed or allowable is too large on a car that was sold.

TurboTax is NOT set up to report the sale of an asset (such as a vehicle) that has varies in business percentage from year to year.  It has problems on several levels.

You may want to go to a tax professional this year to properly report that.

Thanks! I played around with the numbers a bit and got it to work, though I don't understand why.  It wasn't much money, it just didn't seem to like what the entries were.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies